Thursday, September 24, 2009

Malawi July 17th, 2008


July 17th,

Oh my goodness, I can't even tell you all how thankful I am for all your responses! It brings me so much joy to hear back from all of you! Thank you a thousand times over for taking the time to write me!

It is not Thursday night, locked inside the compound, finally able to email twice a week! Tonight was a special night, full of birthday celebrations Malawian style, we ate a special meal, cake, and danced! What a night! This is the best i've felt since falling sick last week at the orphanage. Shortly after my email to you all in town we hopped on a bus for a two hour car ride to a place called Chiwengo, where there are over 60 houses of orphans. It was such a beautiful property. For me, it didn't start out right when I was holding a boy orphan and we were climbing a tree, I fell and still have a piece of bark in my leg. That night we ate beans and rice, and enjoyed the welcome with dancing and skits from the kids, they also shared their stories about how they got off the streets and into the orphanage, COTN is doing amazing things in the lives of these children. The next morning my sickness began, it may be too much information but threw up over 20 times and got sick on the other end too! It wasn't until yesterday that I felt better, and today I was back at work. A full day of ministry. I am thankful for feeling better, the sickness made me miss home some, especially the comforts of a mothers touch, ginger ale, and saltine crackers.

I was cut off early last email when talking about what we're doing here. I'm not sure what I said last, but today we went into the village that we have our families that we visit twice a week. I have fallen in love with my family, they are the most kind hearted, generous people I've met. Last night one of the girls and I took some time to paint the ABC's on sheets of paper. We brought tape and hung them in the house of our family. In broken english, our mom said " this makes me so happy". It is so clear to me, the simple acts of taking time to paint, or take the time to visit brings tears to the eyes of the kindhearted and appreciative. I realize how much I expect, how much I demand, and I am shamed to think of all the things I've taken advantage of. Needless to say, earlier today I was carrying a very heavy bucket of water on my head, and a baby on my back. Maybe one of the hardest things I've done, these women are strong!

July 17th

Oops! Sorry I sent that too early!

Anyways.. The part that I didn't tell you about was my favorite part. Every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon our sports team (consisting of 3 other girls) were assigned to a village names Muzu. It is not currently a part of COTN. Maybe I told you about this town, I can't remember, I'm sorry! Anyways, these children were terrified of us at first, they had never seen us "azungus" (white people) before. They were scared to play with us, talk to us, hold our hands or anything! This was very different from the other villages where you walk up and you instantly become a jungle jim with kids crawling all over you. This was a challenge that we were all up to, we slowly sat closer to the kids and spread our hands out for them to accept first. By the end of last week, the kids were running after us after we left and were waiting for us when we arrived. They laugh, dance and play unlike any kids I've ever seen. There is a huge need for a feeding program near these children, you can see the pot bellies not because of fullness, but because of malnutrition. These children are deathly close to starvation, but still, they dance. I have grown close to a child named Charles. He can't be more than 3 year old, but his pouty face turns to joy every time I throw him up in the air. He has a special place in my heart, and being able to put a child's face to my hopes for this village encourages me to fight as hard as I can to provide what I am able for these children. It is not something that I can do single handedly, but something that will take many prayers, much patience, and God's generous and helping hand.

I have learned so much here. So many of my dreams have come true, and there is so much to be thankful for. I am thankful that I have such a huge support system back at home, I can trust that each one of you that has told me you will pray for me, is praying, and knows that God is doing work.

This weekend marks the half way point. This week was hard for all of us, homesickness spreads like a wildfire around here. We have three weeks left in ministry after tomorrow. Then one week of Safari and touring Lake Malawi. It will all come so fast, there are still so many more adventures, stories, and pictures to be experienced, told and taken. Thank you for your time, in reading my emails and for encouraging me through writing me back. They have brought many smiles to my face. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

In Him,

Laura Beale


No comments:

Post a Comment