Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Taking my own advice
















I love my journal. I have written in it nearly every day while I've started this journal (I've already filled two)... I always love looking back from a year ago to the day... Here's my journal entry on June 22nd 2009, I'm aboard the MV Explorer on Semester at Sea, somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic, two days away from arriving in Spain.


"Sometimes the best thing you can do is be a tourist in life. Experiencing people, places and cultures for the first time. Breathing in the unfamiliar as you begin to identify yourself with familiar aspects to "those people" and "those places" as they become places you've been and people you've met. Develop a brand and unique taste in your mouth. Take pictures like you will only be there for one day and treasure every moment. Walk into a Cathedral, temple, mosque with awe, wonder and respect and close the gap between the distance of the unfamiliar and unknown without taking a single moment for granted."



What if I lived my life like this every day? What if we all did? Not getting caught up in the busyness and stress of every day life but experienced every day like we were visiting a new place for the first time. Maybe it's an impractical thought, but it's a thought... I remember feeling most alive when I was traveling last summer, constantly testing myself and my comfort levels and loving every moment of it.. I miss it, but am challenging myself to live today, tomorrow and the rest of my time here without taking a single moment for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment