Saturday, July 17, 2010

Semester at Sea- Bulgaria





Bulgaria, July 24th- 27th

The first time in 44 years of sailing around the world, the MV Explorer pulled into Varna, Bulgaria. The horizon was dominated with trees patched with small buildings and beaches. Many of us knew very little about Bulgaria, it’s not the central study in our history books. However, the foreign diplomat whom enters our ship before we debark was a 1988 Semester At Sea Alumni. She explained how SAS was a life changing and shaping experience. I personally spoke with her for over an hour, she pointed me in the direction of Foreign Service with the U.S. government. I have an interest in this line of work and the words she spoke that stuck in my mind are “The policies are only as good as the people who make it”, if we want to make a difference, we can’t wait for other people to do it, we have to do it ourselves. In one of my Orphanage visits, which I will tell you about in a minute, the 80-year-old founder said, “If enough people have the same dream, it will come true.”

The first day in Bulgaria we explored the city and then a few of my friends and I had a Semester at Sea trip called “Human Trafficking” this was a big event where over 150 SAS students, members of the Bulgarian Navy, many advocates for Human Rights, and even the mayor of Varna joined in a conference. They explained how Human Trafficking is the biggest, and least persecuted crime in Europe. Bulgaria has become the transport country for human trafficking. We were told of cases of sex trafficking into Western Europe of women, who then are found and taken out of trafficking but refuse to testify against criminals out of fear or emotional exhaustion. Human trafficking is a new and rapidly growing problem with a long road till its end. In my studies of the organization, International Justice Mission, I’ve learned that there are more slaves today than there were in the entire trans-Atlantic slave trade. Over 22 million men, women and children are victims of sex slavery and forced labor slavery. These statistics make it uncomfortable to learn about, but impossible to ignore. My commitment is to move myself to action, and move as many people as I can to face the reality of this oppression in the world.

















The second day in Bulgaria, I visited a disabled home called Karin Dom. An 80-year-old man who thrives with an energetic and contagious breath of life started this house. We were lucky enough to meet him, and I was extremely lucky to hold a conversation with this man. His words of wisdom included the quote from above, as well as “Work with your heart and your hands, nothing is better than giving.” Holding the hands of children with disabilities reached deep to grasp the heart, it awakened my purpose on this voyage. We toured the facility, there are incredible rooms with therapy, and each child gets specific and necessary attention. Karin Dom is free for children who attend, and depends heavily on donations. There have been donations by nations around the world, including Japan. A funny story about Japans involvement is in the late 20th century a Japanese princess visited Bulgaria. She ate the yogurt and really enjoyed it, returned to Japan and urged Japan to send financial help to Bulgaria. To this day, Japan sends funds to Karin Dom. The economic struggle has affected every country we have visited; it hit Bulgaria recently but very hard. Funding for the two orphanages I visited have been halted, this leads to the inability to properly care for the children who are in need.

The third day I was able to receive a much needed rest day, to try to beat the constant sore throat and tiredness I’ve been trying to fight. That night we had our traditional “family dinner” at a sushi restaurant.














It was an incredible 3 ½ hour dinner followed with bowling, like I’ve emphasized before, I have met an amazing group of people whom I enjoy every moment I share with them. The last day, yesterday I went with Semester at Sea to an orphanage. There were only 8 other students and we went to a Roma orphanage, or gypsy children. These children are victims of domestic violence who have often gotten in trouble with the law and are put into the hands of the municipality system. Four boys and four girls temporarily live in the house while they try and find them a permanent home and there are about 20-25 children who go to the home daily for school lessons, showers, food, etc. I felt at home with these children, my time in Africa last summer set me up with a deep rooted love for children and playing with them in Bulgaria reminded me of that love. I am thankful that I am able to connect my experiences in these countries to the study of poetry. I have written about my experience at the orphanage that connects with the children I have met throughout the world. Semester at Sea continues to ignite my passion and purpose in life; I am amazed at the power it has to persuade.
























We are sailing to Egypt now, two days of class and then stepping foot into one of the most exciting ports! I hope you are all doing well, I would love to hear updates and summer adventures that you are all experiencing!

All my love,

Laura

Smile:

Innocent smiles behind troubled eyes

Your story is deep and painful

yet you smile, and through our smiles

we speak the same language.

Victims of violence, abuse and pain,

Please child, don’t let the abuser write the rest

of your story for you, because the ones who did this

to you are just broken souls

Rise up

and claim your life. Re-write your future.

Take my hand

For a moment and let me try to show you

How special you are, how loved you are

I see you through different eyes.

I see you and I love you

because you deserve to be loved.

You are a daughter

You are a son

The Creator calls you children, and your earthly parents

Broke you.

But Christ rebuilds you

You are His, so please, child

Rise up

And claim your story

Child keep smiling,

You are loved.

- Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment