Monday, January 10, 2011

Premium Flyer


January 6th, 2011 I get a 5am wake up call, Premium Flyer has arrived.
Rewind 3 days.
I get a e-mail that there's a racehorse up north that has a fractured knee cap and needs a home before they put him down. I haven't owned a horse since I was 15, and let's just be honest... the equestrian show jumping world and racehorse world are extremely different. I'm not sure what kind of responsibility I'm taking on, but I agree. I can't help all the horses that are victims of the industry that disposes of them when they are not capable of performing their purpose perfectly.
So I agreed to find a home for Premium Flyer, he's stall bound (can't walk) for 3 months. Well, that's absolute TORTURE for a horse that has spent every waking moment running and racing.

But January 6th early morning, Premium Flyer steps off the trailer, and walks right into my heart. He's a beautiful horse, with a uncrushable spirit and an uncanny personality. We watched the sunrise together that morning, just the two of us in the silence of the morning mist. I was immediately amazed by him.
I've spent every moment that I'm not working with this horse, taking care of him. He's a big responsibility and at this very moment he's very bored because he's not used to being stuck in a stall all day, let alone for three months to come. I feel bad, but all I can do is love him. I am gracious for the family who's backyard he is in now, they are extremely generous and very smart when it comes to horses. I am thankful for the support that I've had from my friends and family, and I'm very excited to keep you all updated on how Premium Flyer is doing. Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment